Thursday, June 23, 2011

Do Fish Follow The Sun?

Boat Launch at Backus Lake Early Spring

A few days ago decided to go fishing in the AM. Normally I take to the water in the PM, I seem to have more luck at my favorite spots after 6 o'clock in the evening. But I was up and had nothing pressing to do. So I'm sitting in one of my favorite spots on Backus Lake, just to the left of the boat launch near the Lilly Pads and Cattails. I bait up my favorite jighead, pitch it near the Lilly Pads and wait. And wait. And wait. Nothing.

So I go on a quest for the seemingly unpredictable Bluegill or Perch or Bass or Sunfish, Catfish, Northern Pike (you get the picture).

I resort to one of my tried and true methods for finding the fish (not a fish finder). I love my fish finder and use it regularly on Houghton Lake. But on Backus Lake (the water being 2-4 ft deep) instead of a fish finder, I troll around the lake waiting for a bite (I used this method to find a great spot for Perch). When a fish bites I note the position and backtrack to approximately the spot and give it a try.

So on this fine morning I find the fish in an area of reeds and Lilly Pads on the EAST side of the lake (a new fishing hot spot for me). My favorite hot spot is on the WEST side of the lake where I fish in the evening.

So do fish follow the sun?

Scientists believe there is direct evidence of fish feeding habits and the position of the moon. Basically fish feed more when the moon is directly overhead or positioned on the opposite side of the earth. Sooo, maybe fish follow the moon. Just one more thing to think about when looking for the wily and elusive trophy lunker.

True story: A group of young fishermen on their $40,000 fiberglass bass boat with the 250 hp engine, outfitted with the latest in fishing technology, head out one morning to catch a "mess 'o big ones". Using a chart of "hot" fishing spots and side scan sonar, baitcaster reels and the latest crank baits, soft baits and spinners. Jigs, top waters and harnesses. Leeches, Canadian crawlers, minnows and wax worms.

They found the best spot according to the chart. After cruising back and forth over the spot, the sonar indicated a large concentration of fish. The excited fisherman, with visions of wall mounts dancing in their heads, prepared for an all out assault on the record breaking fish.

While they were gearing up, an old angler came put-putting by in his 14 ft aluminum fishing boat with a 6 hp engine, a coffee can of worms and an old cane fishing pole with a cork bobber. He looked over, smiled and waved as he went past them. The young anglers laughed and made bets whether the "old guy" would catch anything with worms and a cane pole with a cork bobber. Didn't he know, technology is king? Even when fishing. So with a last chuckle they got down to serious fishing.

Four hours later, after a pitched battle of snags in over hanging trees, snags on underwater logs, tangled lines, backlashes, lost lures and not one fish to show for it, the haggard group saw the the old angler returning. Put-putting along in his old aluminum fishing boat with the cane fishing pole with the cork bobber and the coffee can of worms.He waved and asked them how they did to which they replied, "this lake is fished out".

The old angler just smiled, held up a stringer filled with choice fish and said, "They're down there fellas, you just have to bring them up."

Good fishing,

Ken S

No comments:

Post a Comment