Sunday, July 17, 2011

Fishing the Cut River Part 2: Rock Bass

.

Scenic Cut River North of Lansing Rd Bridge
Most of the time I fish alone, primarily because I fish almost everyday. I enjoy the solitude it helps me to forget my cares for awhile. I'm not on a quest to capture the great white whale or the big green walleye or monster bass (although I am happy to catch one occasionally). I just like to relax.

Sometimes I have the pleasure of fishing with a friend or family member and this weekend was one such occasion. My nephew and his family were dropping off my brothers motor home after spending the week camping over near Oscoda. Since they were spending the night we all went to dinner at a very crowded Freds of Roscommon and with about 2 hours of daylight left we thought we'd try to catch a few.

My brother Bill stayed home (he prefers to fish from a boat) with my nephews oldest daughter Sarah (she wanted to Facebook with her friends) but my sister-in-law Cheryl came with us. So we were Dan, Jess, Katie and Ryan, Cheryl (just an observer) and myself. Five of us fishing on the Cut River off the Lansing road bridge.

We turned east on scenic Lansing Road. As we left the asphalt I slowed for a doe and her two spotted fawns that were slowly crossing the road. These were the first fawns I have seen this year and they were already getting big. Unfortunately they scampered into the woods before I could get my camera out for a picture.
Katie catches Rock Bass...Priceless

There was another fisherman there when we arrived. After about 10 minutes he left and we had the bridge to ourselves. I started fishing off the north side but soon decided that 5 of us on the same side was at least one too many so I switched. Now I know there are fish on each side of the bridge that's why I brought them there. Still by the time I had caught my fourth fish everyone was on the south side. So I switched back to the north side.

Ryan catches the biggest Rock Bass
Fishing the north side is a little more tedious because your casting into the current coming at you. You have to keep your line tight or you'll try to set the hook and get nothing but air (believe me I'm a pro at catching air) and you recast often. If you like casting this is the way to go.

After awhile everyone caught at least a couple, mostly Rock bass, a few Perch and one we don't know what type of fish it was. I believe Ryan caught the biggest but Katie had the biggest "one that got away". We saw a doe with two fawns, another deer, a rabbit, a snake and a chipmunk (that was probably running from the snake). A bat flew over head but I think I'm the only one who saw it.
Dan & Cheryl looking for
the bobber in the tree

Cheryl (my sister-in-law) at Katies insistence had try at least one cast. It was a magnificent looping cast that went right into a tree. The bobber will be hanging like a red and white Christmas ornament for generations to come. Eventually darkness and the mosquitoes won out and we packed up and I came home.

Although I enjoy the solitude of fishing alone in a secluded spot nothing can replace putting a worm on the hook for a young angler or taking the fish off for them. Watching them reel in a few even if they're small. I believe in keeping the experience as fun as possible if we're going to keep the tradition alive and passed down to the next generation. One thing I know for sure is that the next generation will be able to look up into the tree by the river and know that my sister-in-law had been there and needed to work on her aim when casting.

All in all it was a great experience and a lot of fun. So take a family member or a friend fishing and don't forget the FUN


Until next time,


Ken S


PS Pictures were taken by Jess and as you can see it was light out still when we started and dusk when we started catching the fish.

(Rock Bass)
"Thank You Houghton Lake...We Love You"

No comments:

Post a Comment